Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Obesity In America

                             

Adult Obesity in the United States

Updated September 1, 2016: According to the most recent data, adult obesity rates now exceed 35 percent in four states, 30 percent in 25 states and are above 20 percent in all states. Louisiana has the highest adult obesity rate at 36.2 percent and Colorado has the lowest at 20.2 percent. U.S. adult obesity rates decreased in four states (Minnesota, Montana, New York and Ohio), increased in two (Kansas and Kentucky) and remained stable in the rest, between 2014 and 2015. 

Fast Facts: 
*Mississippi high school students have the highest obesity rates in the U.S.      18.9%.       *Montana has the lowest rate at 10.3%.                                                                    
*U,S, high school students who did not eat a regular breakfast in 2015 13.7%        
*U,S, high school students who were not physically active for at least 60 minutes   per day    in 2015 , 27.1%                                                                                        
* 41.7% of U.S. high school students used a computer 3 or more hours daily (not for school) in 2015.

WHY ARE WE HAVING THIS EPIDEMIC OF OBESITY IN THE U.S. AND HOW CAN WE CHANGE THE CURRENT TRENDS WITHIN OUR SOCIETY?  Please leave a comment.


15 comments:

  1. I try to be active but I like McDonald's.
    -Risa Ehrler
    Period:3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I try to be active but I like McDonald's.
    -Risa Ehrler
    Period:3

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can change the trends by educating students on the effects of sugar in the diet and the importance of eating whole fresh foods. It is important for the parents to change their lifestyle to show the example, be able to provide the appropriate foods from am young age, and also continue to educate their children. I feel the trends have to do with diet, and not as much about activity level (although being sedentary may cause a person to eat more and possibly mindlessly.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comments are appreciated. I agree with the fact that what you eat has a huge impact on obesity. Our health is maintained through physical activity, diet and strength conditioning.

      Delete
  4. I Try To Be Fit But Everytime I See Some Junk Food Or Soda I Just Drink Or Eat It.
    -Sameria Smith
    Period 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is the trend of this generation. That's why we are discussing obesity. Hopefully students will become aware of their habits and lifestyles.

      Delete
  5. I think adult obesity trends by teaching at a young age of children about the food pyramid and keeping a healthy life style of outside activity.
    Sydney Weakland
    P.6

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Education is a huge part of the increased level of obesity. I'm glad you see the whole aspect of health and physical activity.

      Delete
    2. Education is a huge part of the increased level of obesity. I'm glad you see the whole aspect of health and physical activity.

      Delete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think people are nutritionally starving themselves by eating foods that have no nutritional value. Junk food fills your stomach but is not benefiting your body.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a good analogy! Keep trying to educate your family and friends.

      Delete
  8. I feel that we have so much obesity in america because of how many fast food restaurants are open to us and bad food that is open to us. We try to workout but we always get caught up with how much bad food is out there for us.

    Adrianna Grant
    period 3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with your comment. The restaurant and fast food industry is out of control.

      Delete
  9. I try to stay fit and eat healthy but sometimes I eat foods that won't benefit my body in any way, which are unhealthy foods. I should be eating foods that benefit my body and keep me healthy.

    P.3
    -Kayla Dent

    ReplyDelete